Help After You Were In A Fender Bender
If you were in a fender bender accident, you may not believe you need the help of a lawyer. In fact, people get into fender benders all the time. Surely this is something you can handle on your own, right? Not necessarily. While a fender bender may initially seem mild, it can still result in both property damage as well as physical and emotional harm. You should not hesitate to get the help of a lawyer you can rely on after someone else has caused you to get into a fender bender. You may also be wondering if you should take the same steps after a fender bender that you would in another type of car accident. While it can seem that you would not need to, a lawyer, like a car accident attorney Los Angeles from a firm like Glotzer & Leib, LLP would likely encourage you to do the following:
- Call Law Enforcement. This is not a hard and fast rule. However, especially if you or someone else involved in the accident became injured, you may not have a choice. Many locations require you to call the police to the scene of a car accident. So, even if the car accident was minor, you may still need to call the police or you may find that you benefit from having them there.
- Exchange Information. Like other car accidents, you will need to exchange basic information with the other party, even if you were not the one who caused the accident.
- Gather Evidence. Many people wonder if they should be the ones to gather evidence after an accident. Perhaps you think you can rely on the police officers at the scene of the accident or perhaps you think that is something that your lawyer should do. However, you will have the unique and only opportunity to gather evidence as you see it from your point of view right after the accident occurred, while everything is still fresh.
- Call Your Insurance. Many people hear that they are not supposed to speak with insurance after an accident. However, you will need to call your insurance carrier to inform them that the accident happened.
- Seek Help From a Doctor. Yes, it can seem like a waste of time to see a doctor when you have been in a fender bender. However, many people choose not to seek medical help and then find a few days later that they may be suffering from soft tissue injuries, brain injuries, or internal bleeding. It is always prudent to get medical help to prevent further damage and help when you wish to file a claim.
Knowing what to do after an accident can be difficult. With adrenaline pumping and exhaustion from the accident, you may simply be wishing you were back home and not worrying about the accident. However, it can be helpful to take the steps above and file a claim with the aid of a local lawyer you can trust.